Big 12 Releases Bowl Lineup for 2014-2019
With the college football playoff’s inaugural season right around the corner, the Big 12 announced its new bowl lineup to coincide with the new postseason format.
The new lineup of seven bowl games will include three matchups against SEC teams, which includes a matchup of the conference champions, assuming neither advances to the college football playoff, in the Sugar Bowl.
(See Also: A Look at the Longhorns’ Dominant History in the First Game of the Season)
Notable is the absence of a bowl game that pits the Big 12 against the Big 10. Instead, the other four bowl games’ opponents will come from the ACC, Pac 12 (2), Conference USA and the American Athletic Conference (the old Big East).
The new bowl games are under contract from the 2014 season to the 2019 season.
One will undoubtedly notice the absence of the Cotton Bowl from the list, a bowl that dates back to the old SWC days and Texas’ first two national championships. This is because the Cotton Bowl will now serve as one of the semifinal games for the college football playoff.
The new bowl games and opponents are as follows:
• Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas, vs. Pac-12 opponent.
• Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, Fla., vs. Atlantic Coast Conference opponent.
• Texas Bowl in Houston vs. Southeastern Conference opponent.
• Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn., vs. SEC opponent.
• Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., vs. Pac-12 opponent.
• Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Conference USA opponent or Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth vs. American Athletic Conference opponent.