Texas Baseball Gameday: vs. Texas A&M (May 30)
2014 NCAA BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS - HOUSTON REGIONAL (RECKLING PARK)
|No. 2 seed Texas Longhorns (38-18)||No. 1 seed Rice (41-18)||No. 3 seed Texas A&M (33-24)||No. 4 seed George Mason (34-20)|
|Big 12 Conference||Conference USA||Southeastern Conference||Atlantic 10 Conference|
|At-Large Selection||Automatic Qualifier||At-Large Selection||Automatic Qualifier|
|53rd NCAA appearance||19th NCAA appearance||30th NCAA appearance||7th NCAA appearance|
Friday, May 30
Game 1 - #2 Texas (38-18) vs. #3 Texas A&M (33-24), 3 p.m. CT, ESPNU
Game 2 - #1 Rice (41-18) vs. #4 George Mason (34-20), 7 p.m. CT, ESPN3
Saturday, May 31
Game 3 - Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2, 3 p.m.
Game 4 - Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2, 7 p.m.
Sunday, June 1
Game 5 - Loser Game 4 vs. Winner Game 3, 3 p.m.
Game 6 - Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5, 7 p.m.
Monday, June 2 - If necessary
Game 7 - Rematch of Game 6, 6 p.m.
· Texas opens play in the NCAA Tournament Houston Regional Friday at 3 p.m. against Texas A&M on ESPNU. The Longhorns are the No. 2 seed in the region while the Aggies are the No. 3 seed.
· Texas is making its 56th appearance in the NCAA Tournament, the most by any school. The Longhorns have won 34 regional titles, the most recent in 2011.
· The Longhorns and Aggies have met 368 times in history, with Texas holding a 240-123-5 advantage. This will be the first time the teams have met in NCAA Championship play. Texas is 222-54-2 all-time against Rice, including 1-1 in NCAA Regional play (7-4 loss in Houston in 2008; 4-1 win in Austin in 2010). Texas has never played George Mason.
· Texas enters the regional with a 38-18 record after going 36-16 in the regular season and 2-2 in the Big 12 Tournament. The Longhorns won their opening two games in the Big 12 Tournament before being eliminated by losing twice to Oklahoma State.
· The Texas pitching staff ranks 10th nationally with a 2.45 ERA. Texas is allowing just 7.48 hits/9 innings which ranks 13th in the country, while the Longhorns' 10 shutouts are eighth-best in the nation.
· The Longhorns rank 27th nationally in fielding percentage (.975). Texas has turned 60 double plays which is tied for 10th nationally.
· Designated hitter Madison Carter is hitting .367 on the season and hit .444 in Big 12 regular season games. In the last ten games, Carter is 18-of-37 (.486) with 11 runs, four RBI, four doubles and a home run.
· Mark Payton leads the Big 12 in on-base percentage (.457) and walks (48), is third in triples (5) and is hitting .319. Payton has reached base safely in 95 consecutive games dating back to last season, which is the longest streak nationally and a Big 12 record.
· The Longhorns have been at their best offensively in road/neutral games, hitting .291 as a team with a .779 OPS (.405 on-base percentage/.374 slugging percentage). Fifteen of Texas' 19 home runs have come away from home.
· The Longhorns are 18-2 when scoring in the first inning this season, outscoring opponents 30-14.
· Texas ranks 12th in the offical NCAA RPI and has played the 8th most difficult schedule in the country according to BoydsWorld.com. The Longhorns have a 13-7 record against teams in the RPI top 35, and a 26-14 record against teams in the RPI top 100. Texas is ranked in all five polls and is as high as 20th (NCBWA, USA Today/Coaches Poll).
Texas by the Numbers
NCAA Appearances: 56
Overall NCAA Record: 225-111
NCAA Regional Record: 127-51-1
Regional Titles: 34
Super Regional Titles: 8
CWS Appearances: 34
Head Coach Augie Garrido
Record At Texas: 761-365-2 (18th Year)
Career Record: 1,912-889-9 (46th Year)
National Titles: 5
Super Regional Titles: 7
Regional Titles: 15