Game Day Information
Dates: June 14-25, 2014
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Venue: TD Ameritrade Park (24,500)
Talent: Jon Sciambi (PbP), Aaron Boone (Analyst) & Jaymee Sire (Reporter)
Karl Ravech (PbP), Kyle Peterson (Analyst) & Jessica Mendoza (Reporter)
Radio: AM-1300 The Zone, TexasSports.com/showcase
Talent: Craig Way (PbP) & Keith Moreland (Analyst)
· Texas Baseball is making its 35th appearance in the College World Series, the most by any team. Texas also has the most CWS wins all-time with 82.
· Texas Baseball has a 43-19 record after defeating the University of Houston 4-2 and 4-0 in the Austin Super Regional.
· The Longhorns open play in the CWS vs. UC Irvine Saturday at 2 p.m. The two schools have just two previous meetings, with UCI winning both in 2007 in the Round Rock Regional. Also on Texas’ side of the bracket are Louisville, which the Longhorns have never played, and Vanderbilt, with which Texas has split 12 all-time meetings.
· Head coach Augie Garrido is making his 15th appearance in the CWS (38-20 record). The winningest coach in college baseball history (1,917 career victories) is looking to guide his team to a national title in a fifth different decade, having won championships in 1979, 1984, 1995, 2002 and 2005.
· The Texas Baseball pitching staff ranks sixth nationally with a 2.32 ERA. Texas is allowing just 7.41 hits/9 innings which ranks 12th in the country, while the Longhorns’ 11 shutouts are seventh-best in the nation. In NCAA Tournament play, Texas has a 1.15 ERA while holding opponents to a .210 batting average.
· The Longhorns rank 26th nationally in fielding percentage (.975). Texas has turned 67 double plays which is tied for fourth nationally.
· Over the past 14 games Texas Baseball is hitting .301 with nine home runs and averaging 5.14 runs a game. The Longhorns are 26-2 when scoring five runs or more this season.
· Designated hitter Madison Carter is hitting .347. In the last 14 games, Carter is 20-of-52 (.385) with 14 runs, six RBIs, five doubles and a home run.
· Mark Payton leads the Big 12 in on-base percentage (.467) and walks (55), is tied for third in triples (5) and is hitting .326, which is tied for ninth in the league. Payton has reached base safely in 101 consecutive games dating back to last season, which is the longest streak nationally and a Big 12 record.
· C.J Hinojosa has swung the hottest bat in the NCAA Tournament. The sophomore shortstop is hitting .476 (10-21) with a team-high six RBIs. Payton is hitting .400 (8-20) with a .556 on-base percentage.
· Nathan Thornhill has posted a 0.91 ERA in his last five starts, allowing just three runs in 29 2/3 innings. In his two NCAA Tournament starts, Parker French is 1-0 with a 1.42 ERA, allowing two runs in 12 2/3 innings.
· The Longhorns are 21-2 when scoring in the first inning this season, outscoring opponents 35-15. Texas has struck in the first inning in three of its six NCAA Tournament games and went on to win all three.